Monday, September 29, 2008

but I digest

So I made a pie, and it actually turned out great! Not to show off, but I had never made an apple pie before, so it was messy getting the crusts together (I bought pre-made crust for this time only) but it tastes great, and it didn't even look that bad after it was cooked. I mean I don't think I'm going to have my own cooking show anytime soon...

The real problem was that I could not find recipes online that were consistent. Baking time ranged from 45 - 65 minutes and I probably left it in for 65. I was happy I remember to put foil around the edges because they didn't get burned at all. Then the ingredients for the filling all differed, so I winged it. I like spices, so I added a great apple pie spice I found at Marshalls of all places. The apple pie spice consists of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and mace! (yes, mace). Then a few extra "dashes" of cinnamon and nutmeg. And some vanilla extract. And cornstarch (a tip learned from Grandma many years ago). And a bit of lemon juice, just a tiny bit. I don't do exact amounts for stuff like that. Then I melt some butter and added brown sugar and cinnamon and brushed the top crust. Mmm.

We are still swimming in apples. I need to come up with some more uses for them (other than in my lunch) that are little less calorie-laden.

Did I mention that I also did a zucchini bread last week? Ayye.

No comments: