Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pasta! Salmon! Delicious!

As promised, more posting. Tonight I made something I have wanted to cook for a very long time. I adore this one dish at Papa Razzi, and I wanted to make a similar pasta entree.

This is a farfalle pasta with a salmon and pea cream sauce...so this isn't health food. Though Papa Razzi is a chain, I do enjoy many of the the dishes offered, as they are made to order and are more complex that many dishes found at other Italian chains. I suppose it is considered an upscale chain, as the one I am familiar with is in the upscale mall I worked at in college. Anywhere that offers and Versace store and a Neiman Marcus has to offer something better than fast food I suppose.

Anyway, I scoured the internet for a recipe, and I found a few that were close enough to base it on. My adaptation has a few tweaks to any I found online, and I think it came out pretty well. It could have been a creamier sauce, but in the end I think it's better we saved a few calories after the cooking we've done this winter :)


Ingredients (recipe serves 2 people):

1/2 pound salmon, cooked and flaked - I broil mine
1 cup peas (frozen or fresh)
pasta - farfalle, penne, etc. - about 1 cup per person, maybe a little less
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
sweet onion - just need a few diced up pieces
parsley, fresh or dried
salt and pepper, dash of nutmeg

Start by boiling your water for the pasta, while this is boiling, in another pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.

Add peas to butter and saute for several minutes, then add onions. After about 3 minutes, add cream and remaining tablespoon of butter. Turn burner to low, and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.

While your pasta is cooking, add salmon and cheese to the cooking peas and onions. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg as desired. Remember, the cheese has salt, so you may not even want to add salt. I add lots of pepper though!

Allow this to cook another 5 minutes or so, and once the pasta is cooked and drained, you can mix together with sauce. Add a sprinkle of parley on top.

You may want a creamier sauce, in which case you may want to add a bit more heavy cream and butter. I added a tiny bit more cream. However, you could try to add half and half or milk if you were leary of heavy cream, but I am not sure what the end result would be.

Enjoy! Super easy and delicious, especially when paired with homemade bread or breadsticks!

No comments: